Saturday, October 18, 2008

New Things To Love

I have been bargain shopping at my favorite thrift store here in Ocala in order to find old books to use for my art work. I have found several at the very good price of about 25 cents apiece and have disassembled them to make altered books.
However, I am finding that I am beginning to love some of these books way too much and can't bear to take them apart. I have found an old shorthand book from the early part of the century and a few old readers that take me back to my own childhood.
My greatest treasures, however, came last weekend when Janet cleaned out an old wooden box that contained journals written by her grandfather making note of the weather everyday beginning in 1904 and ending in 1938, right before his death. (See first picture at the top and the stack on the right side, above.)
I will judiciously select pages from these wonderful books and journals to use in my collages and other assemblage projects. What a great piece of history.

2 comments:

Shannon & Elizabeth said...

you aren't kidding about an amazing piece of history.
i can't wait to see them in person.
and keep working on your art!

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

Now that is an extremely lucky find! Those journals are great to have.

Welcome to blogworld!