Saturday, October 11, 2008

Celtic Quilt: An Ancestral Piece


Last week at work, we were raising money for the United Way. Because the economy is so bad, people donated items to be auctioned off instead of giving right out of their pockets. There were many interesting items in the auction but this quilt was, by far, the best. I didn't let anyone know I was interested in it. However, when the bidding started and several people had begun a little bidding war, I jumped right in and won the piece.

This Celtic design quilt is important to me for two reasons. First, it was created by Jane Plummer, one of my reading coaches. She and her sister are quilt artists and Jane makes beautifully intricate quilts. Second, the Celtic people were very intertwined with the people of Northern Spain and many of us who are of Spanish descent, also have a Celtic past. Every bottle of Spanish hard cider I have ever enjoyed has a picture of a Celtic bagpiper on the label; hence, the name El Gaitero or "The Bagpiper".

We have found a very special place on our wall for this art piece. It will be a reminder of my relationship with Jane and of my relationship with the past.

1 comment:

Shannon & Elizabeth said...

i love that people donated things to have an auction, that is a great idea.
and how fun that you got the quilt.
thank you for all of the history behind it, a nice touch to the blog post.