Sunday, September 7, 2008

Newest Creation




I have been working on this collage for over a week and it has taken over my thoughts way too long. It is entitled "It Is Never Too Late To Be Who You Might Have Been" and after sharing it with Janet, she said she thought it was about me. I did not intend to have it be about me but I guess, in a sense, it is. Beginning with the original photographs of old fashioned women, superimposed with more modern features (particularly Hispanic Frida Kahlo), and the "kick butt" red shoes, I guess it could be a personal statement. Breaking free of the mold of one's life has always been difficult and has certainly taken me on an exciting, interesting, and challenging journey. I am still in the process of breaking free from the strictures of time and money; the need to always be sure; the constant reviewing of the finances. My artistic side is not content to remain within the safety of only my thoughts anymore; she is beating on the door to be released.

An interesting note about the page from the old book that I used on this piece: it contains such phrases as ...coffee now?, a silver coffee pot, the army, etc. The picture of the girl with red hair features an army battalion. The girl is wearing a feminist button that says, "Women Make Policy, Not Coffee." When I selected the page from the book, I did not read it. I opened up an old book I bought yesterday, tore out one of the pages, tore the edges, and pasted it down. Weird huh? I think the universe is talking to me.

2 comments:

Shannon & Elizabeth said...

wow - i hope you truly recognize the profound nature of what you are now grappling with. i would agree that the artist that is you will not be content to come "second" for much longer. How fortunate you are, at your still young age, to find her at all, and now be willing to give her voice.

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

I really like this piece of art. Very good.
Thank you for the comment you left me..I write my dreams in a dream book. I really hope they come true..
The house in the country would be beautiful.
xoxo nita