Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Alteration Lady


"Angelina's Alterations" has been working in my head for several weeks now and came to fruition throughout the day today. Angelina was a seamstress who did alterations for my mother in the early 1950's. She worked out of a dark room in the Fashion Cleaners, an establishment in Tampa, Florida. I would go there with my mother and watch while she was measured in order to have her suits altered. It was very boring for me as a young girl but provided inspiration for this piece. I thought it would be interesting if, instead of altering lengths and size, Angelina could alter a woman by giving her more self-confidence, musical ability, or letting go of perfection.

2 comments:

Shannon & Elizabeth said...

actually...what a GREAT idea for a book too!
LOVE i!
you are becoming quite the prolific collage artist :-)

Unknown said...

I remember as a child my mother going to a Cuban lady to alter her clothes. I was so amazed that all the lady had to do was take her tape measure to my mother's body and alter her clothes. Keep up the great work of art.