Sunday, April 19, 2009

Today In The Garden

I thought it would be fun to chronicle the vegetable garden each week or so. This week, I thinned out the seedlings which hurt me more than it hurt them, I'm sure. It was way past time because some of the plants had begun to grow sideways to make room for everybody. The bed in the photograph above is the lettuce and basil bed.
This bed is the bean, tomato, and eggplant bed. The beans are by far the fastest growing and the most exciting to watch.
This bed holds a great mystery. It is the daylily bed but I noticed this morning on my garden walk that there are shoots of an unknown plant coming forth. Now, I could very well have planted something last year that I have forgotten but I usually recognize plants. I don't know this one. However, I think it is beautiful in the way that it unfurls itself.

Finally, this coop plan is to indulge a fantasy that has been running around in my mind for almost sixty years. I have been fascinated by chickens since I was about eight years old and have always wanted to raise them. Once we saw the chickens during our North Carolina vacation, the thought would not let us go. And so, today, we laid out the location of our chicken coop and plan to build a structure much like the one in this photo. I don't know when we will begin building or when we will buy our chickens. But someday soon, we will begin the project and show our progress on the blog. I have already decided that one of the chickens will be named Gladys. Our hens will be for laying, not for eating. They live for about 7 years and are wonderful entertainment. I can't wait.

2 comments:

Elizabeth & Shannon said...

WOOHOOO chickens!!!!!!!!!!
love the coop!
and i am absolutely floored by the vegetables coming up! i am excited to watch the progress!

amelia said...

That is a very nice chicken coop. My daughter keeps chickens for eggs and what a problem it is to keep them warm in our winter. I would love to have them too but can't do the winter thing.
I love your garden and will be watching it's progress as you post it!!