Saturday, November 1, 2008

Seventh Heaven

No trip to Tampa would be complete without a visit to my favorite Italian market, Castellano and Pizzo in South Tampa. It only takes a step inside the door for me to be transported to the smells and sights of my childhood. Even though I am Spanish and not Italian, many of the foods in this wonderful store are the same foods that my father would bring home from his trips to Ybor City.
I come to Castellano for specialty Balsamic Vinegar that I cannot find anywhere else. But once inside, I am tempted by many other fabulous foods that take me back to my youth. Today, I bought my vinegar, but also found some stone crabs, Cuban bread, Italian sausage, and guava shells.
Janet, LeeAnn, and Maria were with me and we had so much fun just looking at everything in the store and reminiscing. We looked at the Spanish Turon but passed it by; LeeAnn and I decided that we never really liked it but we ate it only because it was Papa's favorite and he enjoyed it so much. As we approach the cooler weather that leads us to the holidays, we always go back to those familiar things that anchor us to our past. Today was no different.

2 comments:

LeeAnn D. said...

It was fun. I'm always tempted to shop like crazy in there but was able to resist. I did pick up two loaves of Cuban Bread, though, but then we set them back down again.

Shannon & Elizabeth said...

i could NEVER put down cuban bread. perhaps because i don't have an option of ever buying it.
i LOVE this store, i can smell it all the way over here on Page Street in San Francisco.