Wednesday, November 5, 2008

An Historical Night

I do not know when, in my lifetime, I have felt the thrill that I felt last night upon hearing that Barack Obama had been elected president. Seeing the tear-stained faces of the people in the crowd at Grant Park in Chicago, I was overwhelmed by the magnitude of the moment. I have not been stirred by the words of a political candidate since I voted for JFK in the sixties but I have been constantly moved by President-Elect Obama throughout this campaign.

My route home from work takes me through an old, black neighborhood here in Ocala. As I drove through this old, historical part of town, I began to see crowds of people standing on the sidewalk. There were at least a hundred...excited but well-ordered people, holding Obama signs and waving to the cars passing by. It was a very emotional moment. I have not seen this kind of involvement on election day for almost fifty years. Good job, America. We got it right, this time.

3 comments:

LeeAnn D. said...

Can we get an Amen? AMEN! I have never felt more hope after an election than I do right now. Am completley overwhelmed with emotions. I literally have been moved to tears by the election of Barack Obama. It bodes very well for the future of this country and heads us in a new direction for our relationship with the world.

Shannon & Elizabeth said...

never have i cared so much either, it speaks volumes... what has just happened. and i burst into tears when Florida came up blue.
yes we can.

LeeAnn D. said...

Yes, Florida coming up blue made me very happy. It was a very narrow margin and Amendment 2 still passed (damn) but blue is my favorite color today.