Sunday, August 24, 2008

Clean Up


Tropical Storm Fay has finally departed our state and although just a tropical storm, she left us with a few clean-up chores. The wind battered the Porter Weed and broke most of the branches. So yesterday, I cut it all back hoping that doing so would give it a boost to bloom one more time in the autumn. We are busy going in and out of the shed, making trips to the Green Boxes, and raking up detritus from the garden beds. It will take a long time to get everything back into shape because I think it rained weeds along with water. At least, it sure seems like it.

We read today about an organic farm in Jacksonville, Alabama that takes interns for free room and board. I want to do an internship there next year after I quite my real job. It is called Noah Valley and is in the Alabama mountains. I think I could learn a lot by working on the farm. In the meantime, I am investigating what kind of vegetables I need to plant in the fall so that I can grow something productive and not just decorative.

This morning, we saw a new bird in the garden; one probably blown off-course by the stormy weather. After looking it up in our bird book, we realized it was a Blue-Grey Gnatcatcher. What fun!! The hummers are crazy at the feeders and that always means they are stocking up on food for their trip South. Last year, they were gone by the second week in September. Maybe one year I'll get lucky and one will stay throughout the winter.

1 comment:

Shannon & Elizabeth said...

WOW, all really interesting stuff! i just love the idea of working on an organic farm. we wanted to plant and grow veggies out at your place too (remember?)

since we have had to abandon feeding the birds in our yard, i am wishing even more I could be sitting on your porch and watching those that call the "farm' home...even if only until septmeber :-0