Friday, July 24, 2009

A Day of Ordinary Greatness

Today was the beginning of my birthday celebration. I am one who loves to prolong and extend my actual birthday so it has been my tradition to start the celebration a few days in advance. Since today was the first day of my weekend, we took a trip to Gainesville to do some shopping. At lunchtime, we made it over to Satchel's Pizza, a very popular pizza joint in this college town. At Satchel's, you can eat in one of three places. You can eat inside, you can eat in the very old VW van, or you can eat in the garden. Regardless of where you choose to eat,
your meal will be fantastic. Satchel's salad is a specialty, the pizza is terrific, and the Samuel Adams Summer Ale was no slouch.
On the way from lunch, we saw an Estate Sale and of course, had to investigate. We had never been to an Estate Sale that was held inside of the house. It was very odd to go inside and see everything spread out to be sold. I found an antique bridal veil that looked interesting and thought I would like to buy it. However, upon checkout, I found it was too expensive for my taste and so it remains in the box marked "Rochelle's Bridal Veil" and did not come home with me.
We also found this great seafood market, a very unusual find these days. Back when I was a child, the only place you could find good, fresh seafood was in a seafood market. You couldn't buy it at the supermarket because we didn't have supermarkets, just corner grocery stores. But seafood markets are not so common now, so to find a seafood market was a real treat.
We bought a beautiful piece of fresh red snapper and a pound of gorgeous shrimp. Is everyone's life centered around food as ours is?

2 comments:

elizabethrosasjewelry said...

Did you eat in the van....I love that van, so bohemian funky.

Happy Birthweek to you!

Shirley Gonzalez-Day said...

Did not eat in the van...maybe in winter.