Saturday, May 23, 2009

Another Work in Progress


After five days of rain the sun has finally reappeared, welcome, but a mixed blessing given my difficulty with heat and humidity. My task of cleaning and repairing hurricane damage to the soffits has  been on hold, but it looks like today will be amenable to getting out the scaffolding and moving on with the seemingly glacial process. I am trying to secure the damaged sections first as hurricane season is upon us, but that means hopping around from one part of the house to another, none too efficient. However, efficiency must take a back seat to security in this case. Each step, washing the thin aluminum panels without doing more damage, waiting for it to dry, securing the channels to the house with epoxy, and then caulking each panel, is painstaking. Trying to level scaffold on sloping  (and now soggy) ground is the first challenge.  Then reaching and working overhead yields its own set of challenges. Fortunately, Shirley is at the ready to hand me sponges, brushes, glue, clamps, or anything else I need, so I do not have to climb up and down constantly. But her work schedule means we can work only on weekends or the occasional free evening. Then again, nearing seventy, I am grateful I am able to climb on a scaffold and do the work. It will take months to do the entire house and garage, but it is satisfying work. One can certainly see the fruits of ones labor, clean white soffits neatly in place. All this effort may serve to ward of storms for several years!

3 comments:

LeeAnn D. said...

I forget about the nearing 70 part quite frequently. You guys definintely don't look or act it!

Good luck with the project.

amelia said...

You are very brave, I wouldn't have done this in my forties or even thirties!!!
I am 61 now and wouldn't even consider it!!

Shannon & Elizabeth said...

WOW! yes, i too forget the 'close to 70'. how can that possibly be the case? this is a serious, serious job and look at the clamps!!! woohoo!