Saturday, January 31, 2009

Ready for Nesting

Font sizeA new nest box up and ready for the bluebirds. This box went up a few days ago, and I was despairing since I had not seen the bluebirds for several week. As I carried out the pole, box, tools, etc. what should appear but a pair of them, fluttering around one of the older boxes. So, they are here and waiting for time to be right. There is one who attacks the bathroom window with great vigor and regularity, but I hope he (no female would be that stupid, would she?) will develop a new interest soon. In checking all the older boxes for last year's nests, I found one with a nest and unhatched egg. It was in the most popular of the boxes. I had noticed a pair of bluebirds in the late fall busily in and out of the box as if they were nesting, but did not open the box to check. Never dreamed they would lay eggs at that time of year. I did read that we could get three nestings in a year here in Florida, so I need to be more vigilant about cleaning out the boxes. We have had two clutches in a year, and I suppose the late fall flurry must have been an attempt at a third.

I am posting this as is, even though one picture is missing. My frustration with getting the pictures to load and the text to cooperate has gotten the best of me. My patience with computers is very, very small. Now I can go back to watching the birds and playing with my more cooperative tools.

No comments: