Thursday, April 29, 2010

Tahiti In the Florida Bean Patch


Ok, so here's the deal. We planted beans in the middle garden bed and purposely planted Bush Beans so we wouldn't have to stake them. As the beans are growing, we are noticing that the tendrils of the bean plants are getting longer and longer. "Hmmmm", we say, "these beans appear to need staking." And so we begin to problem-solve. Since I'm in the retirement mode and watching my expenses, Janet and I have developed a new mantra. "What do we need; what do we have; what is the next step?" This philosophy has saved us a lot of money.

So Janet looked around at her supply stash and found some boards that are on their way to "rotten". With those, she made the uprights. Then she took a yard tour and found some bamboo that needed to be thinned so she cut about twenty pieces of bamboo. We put these things together and "voila", a bean support structure!! I think it looks like something you would find in Tahiti. I hope we have a good crop.

2 comments:

Shannon & Elizabeth said...

it has me singing songs from South Pacific...oh wait...i do that anyway.
CHEERS for creativity!

amelia said...

You can actually grow bamboo???? Oh I'm just so jealous!!